Friday, April 22, 2022

⏱ Removed program throttling (for now)

I had not realized that wwwBASIC was throttling BASIC programs.

That does make sense to do so, because so many classic games from the golden years of BASIC would not be playable without throttling.

For the moment, I've significantly reduced the impact of throttling.  Not being too confident of my javascript skills and not quite sure what the javascript code (in wwwBASIC) is doing, I made a simple change that does not break the interpreter but does speed things up significantly.

You'll find a "Benchmark Test" program in the latest version of BASIC Anywhere Machine.  The benchmark results will be different between computers/devices/browsers.  On my Chromebook (Intel Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10GHz, 4GB RAM), the benchmark program now completes in about 5.25 seconds, versus the 22.5-ish seconds before the throttling change I made today.

On my TODO list: setup an interface (i.e. widgets in BASIC Anywhere Machine) to adjust throttle settings for every program.

Something like that.

Cheers !

No comments:

Post a Comment

🖥 Flower Tesselation: Testing DRAW and recursive SUB's

This BAM program inspired by Richard Russell's "Flower-like tesselation" BBC BASIC program posted on Facebook . Created in ord...